May 18, 2008

Clicker training

yesterday I was leading a course in clicker training at the dog club. It was really fun!
I lent vazy to one of the "students" that had no dog, and she was impressed by how easy she was to work with. It's really nice that she manage to work well with other people too now. I remember some time ago she couldn't be without me. And if someone else took her, she would only look at me and try to get to me, even bark.
I was also thinking of that when we were invited for dinner at some friends yesterday. They have another dog, and we left Vazy outside with Apache (the other dog) and she played and was totally normal, instead of just standing at the door whining. She feels like she's getting more independent, and I try to leave a bit more space for her to make her proper decisions by being less strict on the rules. It's true that since then she's not as obedient, but I'm making an experiment to see that if I'm leaving her more space, and controlling her less, she would become less dependent on us.
Anyway, this is giving me hope for the future, cause maybe she will get calmer in the company of Aila...

The other day she hurt three of her legs. The muscles were twice the size. This happens very often with her, I don't know why. Anyways, she was halting a lot, and now after 4 days she's not doing that anymore. I stretch her everyday, and keep the walks as short as possible. But its true that since yesterday its almost impossible to keep her from running. To keep her calmer I'm trying to teach her some new things, and now she learnt to pack all her toys in her bag. It's funny to watch how she searches for them (I made it a bit harder and spread the toys out over the whole flat), finding them, and carrying them to the bag dropping them nicely and concisely in there. It's great to watch how she loves to work and learn. When I showed the people in my course some things with her, she almost went crazy, trying everything here and there...
Only one and a half week until the first meeting with Aila......
The picture is from a walk the other day, maybe I'll put some pictures from the club in a few days.....

No comments: